Some of you may already be familiar with Naturopathic Medicine (and Naturopathic Doctors, NDs), but for those of you are not, or for those of who would like a refresher, here are the top 7 reasons to see an ND.
1. We are highly trained in natural therapies. NDs complete 4-year, full-time, in residence, doctoral level program which combines classroom and clinical training in biomedical sciences (e.g. anatomy, physiology, pathology, cardiology, endocrinology, etc) as well as natural modalities (e.g. clinical nutrition, botanical medicine, homeopathy, physical medicine, nutritional supplement advice). We utilize this training to both assess underlying/root causes for dis-ease, and address those causes with evidence-based integrative strategies.
2. We are experts in herb-nutrient-drug interactions. During our extensive training, we learn not only what natural therapies can do, but how they may impact more conventional approaches, particularly when someone is already on pharmaceuticals. NDs are highly skilled at individualizing interventions to avoid unnecessary adverse events.
3. We work as a team. NDs are experienced with working in multi-modality,
multi-practitioner teams, offering patient-centered, integrative care. Many of our Michigan NDs work in clinics alongside MDs, DOs, and chiropractors. The goal is always to offer safe and effective care to our patients, and that means collaboration is key!
4. We spend time with you. The average primary care visit is typically 15-16min long. Most NDs will spend anywhere from 1.5-3 hours with you at your first visit! This allows for the ND to conduct a thorough health history, and also explore the mind-body-spirit connection, for a truly whole-body approach to your healthcare.
5. We empower our patients. One of the primary focuses of Naturopathic Medicine is to educate our patients so that they can become their own health advocates. We work with every individual to help him/her/them reach their healthcare goals.
6. We need increased healthcare access in Michigan. It is so important to find a healthcare approach that fits your needs! With long wait times, and primary care shortages, Michiganders need additional safe and effective healthcare options. NDs are able to fill a need for qualified integrative medicine providers in Michigan.
7. We are here for YOU. The goal of every ND visit is to get every patient where they want to go in his/her/their healthcare journey. This may be through diet/lifestyle counseling, or even a referral to an appropriate conventional/allopathic provider. Either way, we offer individualized approaches to meet you where you are at, and even take you to the next level!